Alternatives To Mandamus Lawsuits

If you’re facing a long immigration delay and are unable or hesitant to file a mandamus lawsuit, here are some other strategies you might want to consider. None are nearly as effective as mandamus lawsuits, but they could be worth a try.

Inquire with USCIS: If you’re waiting for a long time on your application, you can check where it is in the process on the USCIS website or make an inquiry with the agency.

Talk to USCIS Ombudsman: The USCIS Ombudsman is like a helper who can assist you when you’re having trouble with the USCIS. You can get in touch with them here:

Ask a local politician: You can reach out to a local politician who represents you in Congress, either a Senator or Congressperson. They can check on your case for you.

Send a nastygram to USCIS: If you have a lawyer, they can send a letter to USCIS warning that you will file a mandamus lawsuit if your case isn’t processed soon.

Each case is different. It’s a good idea to talk with a lawyer to figure out what’s the best choice for you.